Powered by Blogger.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Empathy for Unicorns

My life in our new town has given me a new appreciation for the plight of the unicorn!

A unicorn looks like a horse.  It acts like a horse.  But, it's different enough to draw quite a bit of attention.  Stares.  Whispers.  Pointing fingers.  Genuine interest.

That's pretty much explains our existence here!

We act like normal people.  We look like normal people.  But we're just different enough to to draw attention and the stuff that comes with that attention.

I came to this conclusion as two middle school age boys didn't even attempt to stop staring at us today.  They were obviously discussing our very existence!  Shocked whispers were exchanged.  After more than enough staring I finally did the exaggerated eyebrow raise/smile thing to signal that it was time to find something new to look at.

It didn't work!  Ha!

Yall... this is not a rare occurrence.  Sometimes it's fun to be different.  But most of the time it's downright annoying.  I actually prefer it when folks just come right up and start asking their questions.  That happens about 50% of the time.  With a few simple words exchanged folks realize that we aren't the mythical freaks that they suppose us to be!

I know what the unicorn says... Stop staring at me!!

Bless his heart!

No comments: