Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

You Just Never Know

I never cease to be shocked by the weird things that happen to me on an almost regular basis.  Today I was sitting at the park across from the kids' school waiting for Callie to get out.  Every day the same group of moms pick up their kindergarteners and hang out for the 45 minutes until the elementary kids get out.  When the weather is nice, we sit at the park while our kids play.

Today the weather was nice again (finally) so we went to the park.  As I was sitting there, a young girl came up to me and asked if she could speak english with me.  I indulged her and we (slowly) began our conversation.  Of course, everyone went silent, and all eyes were on us.  I felt so conspicuous and embarrassed.  But, we plodded on.

At one point, the girl said she liked to sing.  So I followed that conversation thread a bit.  Before I knew it, she asked me if I wanted to hear her sing.

Um...ok?  What do you say to that.

So, this girl stands up and starts belting out an Adele song.  If there was anyone in that park not looking at us before, they were now!  Even though I wasn't the one singing, I felt like I could melt through the park bench.

What do you even do when that happens?

I was just in shock.  I tried to be gracious and encouraging.  You just never know what the day holds!

No comments: