Powered by Blogger.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Martha Stewart, Snoop Dogg, and the Koran... OH MY!

I am about to go to my building's Koran study group.  Friday is the holy day in Islam.  Most of the men go to the mosque to pray and but the women don't usually do too much.  However, the very religious women meet in small groups and a female "Hoca" (religious teacher) comes to read the Koran to them.

Since it is widely held that the Koran should not be translated, it is read in Arabic- almost sung.  Then there may be a short time of interpretation or explaining what was read to those listening since they don't understand Arabic.  Most times this is sort of sermon style but sometimes it can be a bit like a discussion.

The women in our building are very high practice conservative Muslims.  (That's the reason we chose this area.)   So every Friday they meet together and the Hoca comes.  Today, and depending on how it goes, from now on I will be joining them.  It is a great chance to learn and hopefully to dialogue, too!!

Speaking of dialogue, I watched Martha Stewart this morning.  Are you shocked that Martha Stewart is broadcast here?  Me too!  There is no rhyme or reason to the odd things that are broadcast here.  Anyhow, it is, of course, dubbed into the local language.  I cannot for the life of me figure it out, but they have found a woman who speaks like Martha- slow, deep voice with and air of aristocracy.  It was like butter.  It was like velvet.  It was like butter and velvet got married and had a smooth-talking baby who does voice over work.

AMAZING!

Now, I am not sure how close the end times are, but after today, I am positive that they are near, because when I turned on our television, not only was Martha there gracefully teaching the world about the wonders of homemaking at its finest, but I swear to you, by her side was none other than Snoop Dogg!

(Don't even get me started on the crazy guy that they hired to do Snoop's (am I on a first name basis with him?) voice.  These people have T-A-L-E-N-T!!)

I must have fainted.  Afterwards, I quickly made sure that I was right with the Lord and looked heaven-ward for Jesus to come trotting right out of the clouds.  This was a sure sign of the apocalypse.

I mean really!  Really?!


Snoop Dogg and Martha Stewart right there on my television, speaking the local language, droning on and on about... brownies?!  Talking about the perfect (she says that word a lot) chocolate to use, how to line the pan, what speed to mix it at.

What on earth?

I never thought that I would get to see such a thing in all my days on this earth.  Yet, here it was!

Hallelujah and amen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it. You are right, the end is near.