Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

SAD

We went to our old neighborhood yesterday to visit with friends. It was really nice to feel "missed" and be greeted so heartily! Everyone was really excited to see us again.

But, as I sat with the women drinking tea one of the women began to tell the story of how her cell phone was broken. Her husband bashed her across the head with it! No one was shocked but me. And then they all began telling similar horrific stories of abuse. At one point I had to go out of the room to "check on the kids" and gather myself a bit.

One of my particularly religious friends was quiet, and so I turned to her and asked if her husband treated her this way. Yes, that's how all men here are she said. "My husband's father was like that. My father was like that. And our sons will act like that." So then I turned to one of my closest friends whose husband is (in my opinion) a total scum bag and asked am I understanding this correctly? All of their husbands act like yours?!?! They sort of chuckled and affirmed that I was understanding things correctly. I was appalled!!

I had heard the statistic that somewhere around 80% of women here are abused, and likely more than that, but the others will not talk about it. But when you hear it from the lips of your friends and see their scars it becomes all too real!

Then ladies began to praise my husband and go on and on about how they wanted a husband like mine- a man who loved his wife and family, and treats us and others with respect and kindness.

I couldn't handle it any more! I just had to tell them how shocked and upset I was. That I could not understand how their husbands could say they fear God (Allah), show their faces in the mosque, even, and then act in such a sinful manner. I went on to tell them that the reason my husband treats us and other the way he does is because he truly fears God and follows Scripture.

What I wish I had said- and was fully able to say- is that God loves them so much and considers each one of them as His precious treasure. He cares for them as a beloved daughter and fumes at the way they are being treated. No human deserves such abuse! He counts the hairs on their heads and deeply desires to be in close relationship with each one of them. That is why he sent Jesus. Jesus died to pay for our sin and bridge the gap between the unholy (us) and the Most Holy (God). Because of Jesus anyone who believes is able to approach the throne of the Most High God- not as a dirty sinful creature but as a beautiful, redeemed bride- pure and lovely.

Oh Lord, let your truth be known here, and these women that you deeply love come to know it and abide in it.

No comments: