Powered by Blogger.

Friday, April 18, 2008

This Guy is Selling Some Stuff

I was studying at my desk the other day, when I heard blah, blah, blabbity, blah coming from what sounded like some sort of crazy loudspeaker. So, as is the custom here, I yanked my window open and hung my head out to see what was going on. This is what I saw....





Of course! How else would you expect us to buy sweatpants?





I am quite sure that personal loudspeaker systems must be the hottest selling item at our local Advance Autoparts...ok, so we don't have Advance Autoparts, but we do have a high ratio of cars with loudspeakers! This is a very common way to sell things here. Just strap it to your car and drive slowly through the streets screaming your presence to all within earshot.

This is the most common way to sell potatoes and onions. Although I have yet to buy them this way because I cannot imagine how long it would take my family to consume 50 pounds of potatoes or onions! Also common is the gas truck. It plays a recognizable song (think: ice cream truck goes to the Middle East) and drives around with a truck bed full of propane style tanks. Many women use them to fuel their stoves. (Incidentally, many kitchens do not have ovens. Women will take whatever they need to bake to the local bread store-on every corner- to be placed in their oven.) Other items I've spotted sold in this style include plastics (buckets, containers, mops, brushes, etc.), fish, hats, scarves, and gloves, fruits and vegetables, cotton candy (complete with the spinner/maker thing in the trunk),clothes,prayer beads and trinkets, shoes, and toys.


On a related note, several times each day an assortment of "junk men" wander through the streets. They push what looks like a large, flat wheelbarrow through the streets hollering out "junk man!" It's like Goodwill coming to your door. You give your junk to them, or in some cases they buy it, and then they sell it to others. Fortunately, they don't use loudspeakers. Each one has a unique melodic way to shout his presence. It is neat- one of those reminders that, "we're not in Kansas, anymore!"

1 comment:

Chip B said...

Hmmm ... fish out of someone's trunk. Pass.