Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

JUST STOP IT!!


I snuck into the kids' room the other night, lugged my sleeping baby out of the crib, and held her. I just held her, swaying softly, and trying to drink her in. Her intoxicating baby smell. Her tiny little blond curl at the nape of her neck. Her sweet soft cheeks. She is a year and a half old- not really a baby at all anymore. A toddler, and I hate it.

You see, I have been here before. My first baby- the tiny little thing that taught me what it was to really live, is about to be seven! I can still remember so vividly the feelings I was flooded with during those early months. The delight at simply watching him breathe. Thousands of pictures and hundreds of hours of video footage. The pure delight. But now, that tiny baby is strong and handsome. He reads and writes... in two languages! Sometimes, every so often when I least expect it, the baby is still there. A sweet hug, a good belly laugh, childish thoughts and words. But, they are fleeting! Board books, puzzles, and stuffed animals are being replaced with homework, and soccer, and Star Wars.

On the heals of that sweet baby boy, came a little pink princess. Unfortunately, the details are not as vivid (call it shock and awe of two little babies), but the love swelled up again. With one, we were parents. With two, we were a family! That sweet little girl tripped, wrestled, and bowled her way into our hearts- deep and full. When she was born, we laughed with joy, and I asked the doctor, "what on earth am I going to do with a girl?" I'll tell you what... This girl loves to laugh, and dance, and create. What I do with this girl is see things in a whole new way.

She wasn't a baby very long. No, she had no time for trailing behind. She was walking- make that running- at nine months! And, has kept us on our toes since. But, the precious blessing about her is, that although she grew up quickly, she loves to snuggle. She looks for an excuse to curl up in your lap or sneak into bed with us. (Although it's hard to appreciate the latter because she is the wiggliest thing you will ever meet!!). So I still get to hold her, even if it is on her terms and in her timing.

But, now, here I am again, feeling the emptiness in my arms. Where is my baby? My other sweet little princess has no time to be held, no time to snuggle, or even to slow down. She has to keep up with the other two. She is nipping at their heals. She is supposed to be a baby, a tiny baby. Yet, here I am wrestling her down from on top of the refrigerator!

It's the worst conundrum! You are so caught up in keeping them fed, happy, and alive, that when you take a second to step back and breathe a little, you realize you missed it. Maybe you can check the memory card on your camera, or the film in your video recorder, hoping to at least have some evidence. But you feel like an observer- on the outside looking in as life whizzes by. Can someone please, please tell me how to just stop it- if only for a moment. How to drink it in. How to love and laugh, and not be so caught up with the toys on the floor or the dishes in the sink? Please tell me how to keep my babies little. I just want to hold them in my arms a little more. I'm afraid they'll be off to college tomorrow.

5 comments:

shanaowen said...

Oh, Elizabeth, this is so true, and you expressed it so beautifully! There is sorrow in watching them grow up, but also there are times when you see them accomplish things as they grow and it fills you up with joy and pride ("That's MY Baby!") My firstborn little princess is graduating high school and going away to college this fall-I'm feeling every emotion possible right now. It's hard for us moms-we pour our whole lives into our children- but just know that what you are pouring into them is watering the seeds that God has planted and as they get older you get to watch the fruit He will produce in them. They will always be your babies! I'm praying for you today!

Angie said...

Okay, Elizabeth - this is two consecutive posts that have left me in tears. What's the deal? :) Both of them were beautiful.

Alli Penuel said...

Tears, tears, tears!! I have been feeling the same ways! Everything you said is so true. Hope you are doing well! I am glad to be able to see you through your blog. Ours is thepenuelfamily.blogspot.com .

Chip B said...

Well ... you really can't keep them little. That's not the way God meant it to be. BUT ... there's always the hope for grandchildren ... waaaaayy out there. And what a joy that could be ... you get to check them back in when you're done getting your baby fix! And you delight in watching your children get what they dished out. Can you tell I'm planning ahead???

Sue said...

I'm ready to come over there and get you, girl! Two posts in a row that leave me crying...!!!

Part of me wants to say "how DARE you?!" but the other part of me resonates with every word you typed...except that for us, the subsequent kids to #1 haven't yet arrived. Maybe there *is* a mixed blessing in infertility...that I get to wait longer (the icky part), but they are more spread out and seem like I get to have "babies" for longer. ;)

Well, the oven beeped...time to go rescue the pizza! :) Love & miss you!

love,
sue