Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

High School Hijinks

Well, it turns out I have a lot to learn about classroom management.  The 6th and 7th graders are eating me for lunch!  Ha!  I've already done about half the things I said I'd never do.  Whoops!  Thankfully, I haven't punched a kid in the throat... yet!

Yesterday I had my high schoolers.  They are awesome!  About midway through my lesson with my (25!) ninth graders my largest kid, probably 6'2 250 lbs, was leaning back in his chair and went crashing to the floor.  That got everyone's attention!  I thought he was going to go through the floor.  I'm sure the class below us did an earthquake drill!  No offense to Emir, but it was quite a crash!

Later on in that same class we had about 15 minutes left.  I told them I would teach them a game.  They asked if they could teach me a game instead.  I agreed as long as they would give the instruction in English.  So 5 of my guys came swaggering up from the back row.  They started trying to organize themselves and explain a game called Uzun Eşek, Long Donkey.  They sort of lined up like they were going to play leapfrog.  All the while the two guys in the front row had eyes as big as saucers.  One was saying (please read these in an accent), "No teacher!" and the other was saying, "Itz bad game!"  Ha ha!

This is when I stopped the game.  I told them it looked like it might be better to play outside some time next week.  They protested saying, "It's ok.  It's a soldier game."  Yikes!

Earlier in class, we brainstormed ideas for our time together.  This is our list:

sit outside
play games
watch films
listen to music
play football (that's soccer)
sing
karaoke
play American football
dance
read newspapers
street fight
arm wrestle

So... that ought to be interesting!

No comments: