Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 14, 2014

BookWorm

I LOVE to read.  These days life is busy, so sneaking away with a good book feels like a guilty pleasure!  Praise the Lord, we were given a Kindle a few years back.  It is so difficult to get good books in English at a decent price here.  So, my Kindle is a HUGE blessing!!!  In fact, Noah got one for Christmas, and Callie got one for her birthday.  It's just the best thing on earth for us!  They have both started reading so much in the past 4 months.  It's awesome!

Anywho... Today over at Kelly's Korner she is doing Show Us Your Life: What are you Reading. Since I've read some really good books lately, I decided to share.

Of course, I've read A little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie, and Melanie's books, Sparkly Green Earrings and The Antelope in the Living Room.  I'd recommend all three.  Thoroughly fun reads!

Right now, I am halfway through Wild.  It is quite an interesting read- a little gritty in parts.  But a good honest story of one woman's crazy adventure trying to find herself.



 I just finished Gone Girl.  It was a real page turner with a twist at the end.  I want to say so much more, but I'll stop lest I spoil it for you.  I'd recommend it, but again, it's probably rated R.  At least for me.


I fly through fiction, and always have a few non-fiction books going, too.  I read non-fiction really slowly because I'm trying to really absorb the information.  And, quite honestly, because there's no story to get caught up in and make me stay up too late reading!

One of my current non-fiction reads is Grace Based Parenting.  It is really good.  I'd recommend it!


 Another non-fiction read that I have going right now is Miraculous Movements.  It's an amazing book if you are in my line of work or have a particular interest in reaching out to Muslims.  If not, you can skip it.

In the Fall I zipped through a ton of Adriana Trigiani.  My  mother-in-law recommended her years ago.  But it has taken me awhile to get to her stuff.  I LOVED every book I read by her.  The books I've read all have a tie to Italy and even sometimes involve bits of plot set in Italy, which I love!  The Big Stone Gap series is really good: interesting and fun with a sweet love story.  (It reminds me a little bit of Jan Karon's Father Tim Series... which I would also recommend!)


The Shoemaker's Wife was super interesting.  The plot involves late 19th century Italian immigrants.  I loved reading about what life was like in America during that time.


The Astronaut Wives Club was a thoroughly interesting read.  It's a non-fiction account of life told from the perspective of the wives of the first astronauts.  It was fascinating to put yourself in their shoes and think about what life would be like.  Can you imagine being Louise Shepard, Project Mercury astronaut Alan Shepard's wife and watching your husband enter space on television with the rest of the world?  Who knew what would happen?  What about the wives of the Apollo 8 astronauts who were first to leave the earth's orbit and orbit the moon.  No one had any real idea if it would work or if they would just float out into space and die.  Anyhow, you can tell that I loved this peak at the glamor and terror of being an astronaut wife.  Plus, the mid 20th century Americana is fun, too!



I just finished reading Black Beauty to Lucy.  She and I are horse lovers so this was a must read!  It's a classic!  So good, and so heartbreaking at times.  



So, those are my recommendations.  I've read several other books, but I wouldn't really recommend them, so no need mentioning them.  I can't wait to see what everyone else is reading and add a few to my must-read stack... in my Kindle, of course!!



1 comment:

Grandma said...

I will read several of the recommended books. I needed those suggestions.