You always have to get a bit sentimental and sort of look back at the closing year before you can look ahead at what is to come. 2013 wasn't our best year. In many ways it started out hard, and I was really just plain sad.
But, the Lord is faithful, and He is with me in the valleys and the peaks.
In April, I did one of the most exciting things in my life. I flew halfway around the world to surprise my mom for her 70th birthday. Having married and procreated young, I really haven't traveled or had many adventures on my own. So this trip was a balm for my soul. Not to mention, it was so amazingly fun to just get to follow my mom around for 2 weeks and be a part of her life. We laughed and talked and shopped and laughed some more. It was one of the best times in my life!
Our summer in the States was a really good time to reconnect with friends, family, and our churches. My kids finally got to meet their cousin. We had some of the best times with our families I've ever experienced.
We got to share what the Lord is doing here and invite people to pray for this nation and the folks that we rub elbows with. Each time we got to share our hearts and vision, it served to rekindle our passion as well. It was exhausting but refueling at the same time!
We returned in September ready to go deep. For some time I felt like the Lord had been stirring my heart, but I couldn't see what He had in store. October brought some answers as Justin and I both felt clearly called to pioneer into a new town. We felt our hearts pulled to the town, but didn't have any flexibility due to Justin's job. Not a week later, the company that Justin worked for decided to close his regional branch office. The fear of a lost job was overshadowed by the freedom to pursue something new.
The Lord confirmed His call and strengthened my faith in November. I was sharing my doubts and the long list of things that would have to be in place for a move to even begin to be remotely possible. The Lord clearly answered me, "Am I not able?" From that word on it has been full steam ahead. I am trying my best to trust Him in faith as we work toward a big move this summer.
December brought the excitement and anticipation of Christmas. Sharing special time as a family was definitely the highlight. We've settled into our own traditions and patterns. Being so far from our beloved extended families, those types of things carry us through and help to make the season meaningful and enjoyable.
Truthfully, 2013 wasn't so great. But there were great parts...
* I returned to blogging after a bit of a hiatus.
* We went on several class picnics.
*Callie swindled the tooth fairy.
*Noah was invited to fly by himself to spend the week with a friend.
*Lucy was in a music video.
*I was reunited with my true love... the Walmarts.
*I forced Justin to have some fun on his birthday and Noah flew off on an adventure by himself.
*My competitive side came roaring out!
*We explored the coast.
*We celebrated Deb's 60th birthday.
*Noah, Callie, and Lucy finally got to meet Cam.
*We rode some major roller coasters!
*Had the best rainy days you can imagine!
*Spent time with precious friends.
*Made peace with our inner hillbilly.
*Said goodbye to a dear friend.
*Started a new school year.
*Battled Satan's best friend.
*Threw one heck of a party.
*Fell in love.
*Hung off the side of a cliff.
*Took a whopper of a road trip.
*Heard from the Lord.
*Given thanks.
*Celebrated traditions.
*Called our friends' baby ugly names!
*Ingested cold animal fat.
*Had a beautiful Christmas!
I am choosing to focus on the good things and try to learn from the bad.
It was a year in which I heard from the Lord and I saw His faithfulness regularly. It was a year where He rekindled my heart and I am practically bursting with excitement to see what 2014 brings. I know it won't be all raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. The big move and subsequent resettlement will most likely be excruciating. But, we are confident that it is the Lord's best for us, and that's all we want in 2014!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment