Have you ever seen a fig?
I think they are a Middle Eastern thing, because they are everywhere here.
I'm not sure that I had seen one or really even knew what a fig was, apart from a fig newton. I'd read about fig trees in the Bible and all. But, I was pretty sure that I didn't really like them.
Then, last summer I was at some friends' house and they served figs. I told them that I had never eaten a fig before and they were shocked. Of course, I couldn't refuse to eat the things right there in front of everyone. How rude!
My friends showed me how to eat a fresh fig and I slowly did just as they told me hoping that I wouldn't gag.
It turns out that figs are super yummy! They are sort of weird, so you have to just get past that to enjoy the gushy yummy fruit. It's like eating straight jam without the guilt!
Here's how to eat a fresh fig:
Wait until it's super soft- it will seem almost overripe. Then you tear it open.
Then you eat all of the yummy fruit out.
They actually taste great, skin and all. But, Callie doesn't like fruit skin. So she eats them like this. I am fine to simply wash it and eat the whole thing! It's less messy that way. I do have one friend who opens hers up and uses a spoon to sort of scrape out the fruit.
Regardless of how you eat it, a fig is a really great and healthy fruit.
Have you ever eaten a fresh fig?








3 comments:
Figs were one of your Mama's favorites. Her father, my grandfather, had fig bushes in the backyard and we played in them as kids and enjoyed eating the figs, as well.
Love you, Mom
I thought you said they were pomegranates.
Pomegranates were in Mama and Granddaddy's backyard in LaGrange. You would not want to play in those bushes because they have little stickers on them. You are bringing out a lot of memories.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment