Looking back on Max and Isaiah's visit, I realize that it was really important to me to show them as much of our world as possible. Unfortunately for them, that meant that I ended up really over-booking all of us! I kept them running!
Part of it is that I feel like if you've spent so much time and money to get here, it is my job to make it worth your while. Another part of it is that I am a total tourist and I LOVE to tour around, even if it's a place I've been lots of times before!
I just need to memorize some key facts, and I could hire myself out as a tour guide!
We wanted to take them over to the old city one last time before they left. Justin got to show them some things early on in their visit, and today was my turn to tour them around. The places that I took Max and Isaiah to are typically the first places that any tourist to this city would visit.
![]() |
| We started at the huge Sultan's palace on the water. This is Isaiah and I in the Haram. This palace is full of incredible tile work, ornate wood work, and hand-painted dome ceilings. |
![]() |
| There is no lack of decoration, color, or fanciness in general! |
![]() |
| Isaiah posing in front of the beautiful tile in the circumcision room. |
Unfortunately, the palace was really crowded with tourists. So, we ended up skipping a few things- the main one being the treasure rooms. When Max and Isaiah come back, that will be the first place we go, because the gold, diamonds, gems, relics, etc. in that part of the palace are really amazing.
After the palace we headed to an enormous cathedral, turned mosque, turned museum. You can read about it here if you are interested.
Ever since we first visited this country in 2006 the main dome has been under renovation. The renovation has finally finished. So, I was so excited to get to see the full cathedral without any scaffolding.
![]() |
| Looking out the cathedral window towards the largest mosque in this country. |
![]() |
| The irony never escapes me: The ancient Christian mosaics were covered over, replaced, and/or flanked by the Muslim symbols. |
![]() |
| reading the historical information |
![]() |
| That's Jesus with the Emperor Justinian (the guy who had this place built) sitting next to him. |
![]() |
| Some local yummies! |
It was a bit of a whirlwind day. I was trying to cram in as much as possible, but still give them time in the late afternoon and evening to pack and to pray with us. So, we headed home exhausted and ordered pizza for dinner. I felt bad about giving them food that they could eat back home, but it was easier for everyone. Plus, the pizza toppings here can count as a cultural experience! HA!
I cannot say enough about Max and Isaiah's visit. It was such a blessing on so many levels! It was a great chance to just laugh with people who are like us, but more than that it was such an encouragement. We really need to push them to make it a yearly thing!!











No comments:
Post a Comment