You may or may not know that we have just finished up celebrating one of the two major holidays on the Muslim calendar. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were the "Sugar Holiday" that celebrates the culmination of Ramadan.
In addition to special prayers, religious activities, and visiting the graves of dead relatives, Muslims visit as many relatives and friends as possible. In fact, I was talking to a woman yesterday who had visited 19 different relatives in two and a half days! The other lady involved in the conversation had only visited around 10.
It is a time of social and eating overload!
Can I tell you a secret?
We planned our time in the States so that we'd miss the fasting of Ramadan, but be back in time for the fun of the Holiday!
I know... scandalous!
Anyhow, the point of my post (I promise there is one) is to tell about one of the weirdest things that has happened to us while visiting.
Yesterday we visited Noah's best friend's family. They are so sweet and we really enjoy spending time with them. The mom, Aysun, had cooked up a major spread, and fed us till we were stuffed.
(Have I ever told you that the people here love to force feed us? It brings them great joy to guilt us into eating until we roll out of their homes. All the while telling us that we've gained weight lately. It's fun!)
Anyhow, at some point during our visit, they turned on their video camera. Justin's grandpa used to always do this when he was growing up, but I'm not really used to being filmed randomly. So, there it was, sitting in the corner filming our time together.
So weird, right?
They were so excited to film us all together. At one point the dad even walked around the flat getting everyone there, lots by this time, on camera.
What do people do with this sort of footage?
Do they ever even watch it? Show their friends? Laugh at our language mishaps? Upload it onto YouTube? We can only hope to get as many hits as this hilarious video!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment