Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Horse-pital

Today I took my sweet neighbor (we call her "Teyze" which means "Auntie") back to the state hospital for her post-op 3 month check-up.  During the surgery, she was supposed to have a little nodule removed, but once she got in there it looks like the doctors cut off half her breast and went fishing around for anything else they could find.  I've seen the incisions... its not pretty.

So back to today...

I cannot begin to describe the state hospital to you.  It makes the Health Department look like a vacation!  Lots of very ill people standing in lines waiting to draw numbers to stand in another line.  Heck, we had to draw a number to make an ultrasound appointment.  

We drew #151 by the way.  They were on # 105.  So, yes, we waited over an hour just to make an appointment.  As it was drawing near to the time when they close for lunch we started to panic.  I called Justin and told him to pray that they would get our number in before lunch.  Praise the Lord, we barely got it done!

Today was Teyze's assigned appointment (and I use that term very loosely) for a check-up.  We started the day at 7 am- hurrying out to the hospital to draw a number to see the doctor.  And thus began the waiting game.  Wait to draw a number.  Wait to get in line to turn in paperwork.  Wait to see the doctor.  Wait to get blood drawn.  Wait to make follow-up appointments.  You get the picture!

Although I was really tired, it was sort of fun.  I love to people-watch and this place contained many of the earth's most interesting folks!!

Here are just a few of the things I saw:

-multiple people carrying jars of urine (hopefully their own)
-3 different people who may have been older than Moses (2 of them had to get their blood drawn and I was quite sure nothing but dust was going to come out)
-since its a state hospital they bring the prisoners there to be treated.  It was extra fun to watch the guys in cuffs and shackles go by guarded by no less than 4 (heavily) armed policemen
-the oldest air conditioning unit I have ever seen was spewing out some sort of air that was visible (YIKES) so I tried to convince Teyze that they were gassing us
-one fight
-I am pretty sure I saw a dead person
-I think I caught cooties and/or fleas... TWICE!
-an assembly-line system for drawing blood- they were doing about 2 a minute- no washing of hands- I didn't watch closely enough to see how many times they used the needles
-very old, very sick people trying to navigate the very complicated public health system- they had to do all the leg work, wait in lines, ascend and descend stairs, etc.
-young guys- like ambulance chasers- who were hovering over the patients trying to convince them to buy their medicines from them (they had conveniently parked their cars right outside the main door and had associates selling the meds from their trunks).   Actually these guys were helpful because they spend all day, every day at lurking around the hospital they could answer everyone's questions... turned out to be the only helpful people around!
-a waiting-area that was also a construction zone- complete with men removing support scaffolding with hammers... lots and lots of hammers

All in all, I am so, SO, SO, thankful for the health system.  I am thankful that my precious Teyze, even though she is a widow and has a tiny social security income, can get the care that she needs.  It may make for a long day, but inşallah (God willing) will help to make for a long life!

No comments: