Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Eggs

Eggs here are not sold in a dozen or evan any multiple of six at all.

GASP!! I KNOW!

Usually they are sold in tens. Or however many you need at the moment and send your kid to get at the market. It is so weird.

I learned that the idea or a dozen is completely western. Who would have thought?

Another thing about eggs here is that they are not refrigerated. They are sold fresh and therefore (in theory) don't need to be. None of us has gotten salmonella poisoning yet, so I guess its not a big deal.

Oh... and the egg yolks here are really really orange. Like scrambled eggs are a totally different color here kind of orange. Strange!

Finally, another thing I must tell you about eggs... if you can handle all of this heart-stopping information is this. They do not clean the eggs. I am no fan of birds of any type. But even if I was, handling an egg that has the stray bit of poop and feathers is enough to make anyone wan to lose their lunch (or breakfast in this case). YUCK!

Just wash the dern eggs people!! Is that too much to ask?

Oh gosh.. don't hate me but I just remembered one last thing. I promise this is the last thing. One time Justin was making breakfast for the girls and when he cracked the egg a tiny dead chicken embryo came out. Thank you God and all the angels in heaven that that did not happen to me because this family would never see another egg again!!

That's you local egg-ucation for the day.

That's a funny one, right? Egg-ucation! Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?

1 comment:

Valarie said...

It was the same in Mexico w/ the eggs not being refrigerated. But they were sold by the 6, 12, 18, or 24. And a little poo would be on some and they were orange. BUT...I did have an egg HERE that had a partially grown chick in it. It was an Eggland's Best which is supposed to be THE best. I guess not. Guh-ross! :-D