Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 19, 2010

We're Not Like You See on TV

Lucy has been sick for the last couple of days. She has had a fever and sometimes acts a bit lethargic but then sometimes acts completely fine. Anyway, to be honest, I have really enjoyed my last few days with her. She has not gone to preschool and we have pretty much hung out. She has been mellow and not too whiney. So, basically, great!!

After we walked Noah and Callie to school I had a few things that I needed to do today. I am on a real "get your affairs in order" kick! Since she seemed to be feeling fine, I dragged Lucy along. We hopped on the minibus and went into the center of town.

We picked up some medicine at the pharmacy, and then went to the post office. We drew # 383. They were on # 358. Lucy did great while we waited! She played with her baby doll and furrowed her brow at anyone who tried to pinch her cheeks and/or touch her hair. (I don't mind it so much when she shuns the attention. It is a bit much!)

When our number was up we went up to the desk and I asked if I could buy stamps. The lady said that she could not do that, I would have to see the lady at the desk in to corner. There was no lady at the desk in the corner. We waited for the lady. Eventually she came. We bought our stamps, and I mailed three more letters!

I will never get that hour of waiting back, but on the inside I celebrated another victory!! STAMPS!!!! I BOUGHT STAMPS!!!!

Then we headed down to the button shop to try to find button to match the ones that Noah and Callie have plucked off of their school sweaters. We found something close, bought those, and headed on to our next destination.

Near the button shop was a little cafe. Lucy and I stopped in to rest a bit since everything we had done was on foot. The men working there were entranced by Melek (Lucy's name in the local language) and struck up conversation. They were shocked when they found out we were American. They said that we were the first Americans they had ever seen! I retorted that we're not as bad as the ones on TV! Right? They laughed (a JOKE!! I made a Joke!) and said no.

It was fun to talk with them and just as we have been reminded time and time again, show them that despite politics people are just people.

2 comments:

Katie Davis said...

Elizabeth - Nate always tell me, 'you know you are 'in' the language when you can joke in it'. I'd say you are there!

Elizabeth said...

Hey Katie,

I think that I would ammend that to say when the locals get your jokes then you know you are in the language.

I have been making jokes from early on, but they usually assume that I am making an error and correct me.

For instance I was teasing my friend about her birthday and told her she didn't look a bit older that 50. She thought that I mis-spoke with the numbers and quickly corrected me that she was only 32.

That happens all the time!

Hope yall are doing well!

Blessings,
Elizabeth