Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Day of Firsts

When we arrived here, Justin started full time language learning and I pretty much fit it in where I could. In addition, he had an office and was supposed to be out of the house for most of the day. Because he had not yet started any tasks for his job he had lots of time to figure things out. And it took lots of time to do even the simplest tasks!! It is astounding how much more time things take here.

Anyhow, all this to say that Justin always got tasked with the new things- installing lights, starting a bank account, figuring out how to mail letters, paying bills, etc! For some reason, it has stayed that way.

To be honest, I think it has been fear on my part. Fear of looking stupid, fear of not knowing what someone is saying or what is required of me, fear of the unknown no matter how simple it really is.

I am tired of being helpless. So, lately I have been trying to take on more things. I think that the joy from having a file drawer has spurred me on to new heights. File drawer, you are the wind beneath my wings. Never forget it!

My language class is over and it is time for me to get into the real world even more. I used to pride myself on how much I could handle and get done. Your regular task master! I thrived on lists. Not so much here!!

Guess what major firsts I accomplished today...

I PAID A BILL. (You have to go to the places to pay them.) I know, I know. I should have told you to sit down for this huge news. I'm sorry. Pick up your jaw. I know you are excited for me.

But wait... there's more! Can your heart handle it?

Maybe you should sit down.

I MAILED THREE LETTERS. (Oh, yes ma'am, I did ask for them to be stamped, not metered!) Excitement!! THREE!!

The best part- I picked up a package, too! (Thanks, Mom!!!)

I know, I'm awesome. A regular rock star. A Middle Eastern Martha Stewart. Superwoman!

Jealous much?

Can you even believe that such mundane things are giant hurdles for us? Our language is coming along well, but figuring out culture and the way things work here will be our life-long job.

I learned one universal truth today:

There is always a long slow line at the post office no matter what country you find yourself in!!

2 comments:

Pat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just had to leave a comment. This is my first. You are so funny Elizabeth! Ryan and I laugh and laugh -- especially at Callie's comments. Your storytelling skills are awesome! Miss you! Love, Kelly Douglas