Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Engagement Party

Awhile back I got to go to my downstairs neighbor's engagement party. Children- no matter how old- in this culture live with their parents until the day they are married! And lots of times afterwards, too. If not immediately after they are married then at least when they have a baby one of the mothers moves in for a year or more!

I was too shy to get up and dance with everyone. They were laughing and having so much fun, but when I am up there I feel like everyone is watching me. I'm not a good dancer anyway, and certainly not good at the dances they do here yet. But, now I regret it a bit because it is so much fun!!

Anyhow, the crowd of well wishers was large. The party begins with mingling and everyone sort of making their entrances. Then there are introductions of family members, and sometimes speeches. Then they put sashes on the bride and groom to be and people pin money or gold on the sashes as someone is announcing who gave how much! (My mother would be apauled!) They usually make enough to pay for all of the wedding expenses and sometimes honeymoon, too! (At the wedding they make enough to set up their home.) Then they pray for the couple. They they dance, and their parents dance. And finally the music starts really pumping and everyone gets on the dance floor. It is really fun.

Here are my pictures:


The bride to be- in the white dress.


The mother and father of the bride to be.


The whole family dancing.


The future groom on the left.

No comments: