Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Language Learning

We are all working really hard at learning the language spoken here. Noah and Callie have done an amazing job "picking it up." Justin has worked his tail off, and is also really good. Lucy understands both and speaks a little of both.

And then there's me...

For almost the first year, I tried to use a language helper. She came to my house and we worked on random things. The problem was that I had to organize the lesson, and I just couldn't do it. I felt like it took too much time and foresight that I would have preferred to just spend studying the language. So, last July I enrolled in a local university that offered classes in the local language.

It has been a wonderful blessing. I love being in the classroom. I love that I do not have to organize my lessons, and try to figure out what to learn next. I love meeting other ex-pats. Not to mention that it is a much needed chance to get out of our flat!

But, for as much as I love my classes, it is hitting me that I am in university. I am sitting here, procrastinating on the composition that I should be writing. And the 15 minute presentation that I have to give next week is weighing heavily on my mind.

I took several communications classes for my major in college, but I never had to present for 15 minutes, and now... in a foreign language! Sweet mercy!! I am supposed to explain any topic to my class. Do you have a suggestion for me? What can I tell a group of foreigners from around the world (without using really difficult grammar and vocabulary)? HELP!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about what its like to grow up in the South? would that be interesting to them?

Robinson's Round-Up said...

What about how to make an american dinner. going to the grocery and buying the food to all of the preparation and the clean up...you could do like a 3 or 4 course meal.

Tiny Head said...

Scrapbooking! Then you can have visual aids. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could explain a sport, like basketball or baseball. But that might be hard in English!

Robin