I remember one time my brothers and I were teasing my mom about her outfit (as if we had any fashion sense ourselves). It finally got to her and she blurted out that she chose to wear her "ugly, old clothes" so that we could have the nice new ones we sported. Ouch! I knew it was true. And like so many other things, it was not until I became a mother that I could fully appreciate my mom. She gave us the world and served us hand and foot. Do you know that I never made my lunch for school? Heck, my mom still makes my brother's sandwich when he drops by for lunch. She loves, and she gives. Now that I am a mother that is what I want to do. Somehow, its not the same. I can't seem to give as selflessly, or love as much, or not expect anything in return the way she did. When I serve, for some reason, deep down, I'm waiting for the trumpets to sound and the husband and kids to stand at attention and sing my praises. Maybe she wanted that, too. I sure do wish I had sang her praises more. Is it too late? She is out of the harried, overwhelmed young mom with three crazy, ungrateful kids stage. But maybe, just maybe it's not too late!
She's the reason that I love vegetables, know Jesus, long for a surprise yet don't know what I want to be surprised with, and double the meat, cheese, and chocolate in any given recipe. She's better than anyone I know, and my goal is to be as much like her as possible. She is selfless beyond words, always thinking of others. But the neat thing about her, is that when she thinks of others, she takes the time to do something about it- give them a call, drop them a note, or take them some "goodies". She made my childhood wonderful, and happy, and full of lazy days at White Water. She never missed a practice, a speech, or a game. When we're together we laugh so hard we cry. I cannot even get started about how fun it has been (not to mention life saving) watching her be Gamma! What grandma do you know would do this?
She is cherished by everyone who knows her- especially my children. She calls regularly, and insists on talking to the kids. She always plays along when, for the 100th time, Noah trys to imitate my voice and says "this is mommy". She is attentive to others and intentional about loving them.So, today, Mom, on your birthday, I want to make sure you know just how dearly and deeply I love you. My cup runs over (my eyes, too) when I think of you. You're the best and I could not be more blessed to have you! Thank you for being so great, and giving, and fun. You're special, really really special!! You're my best friend, and I miss you more than words can express.
I'm crying now, so I have to stop. I LOVE YOU, MOM. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

5 comments:
You are so right your Mom is the best and a dear and cherished friend I feel so blessed to have her my life all these years she truly is a blessing.
Amazing how smart Mom's become as you get older!
Love to you all have a wonderful retreat
Ramona
Can't see to type through the tears. I love you so very much and thank you for this sweet message, what a wonderful birthday gift. Love to you always, Mom
Moms rock.
This is the sweetest thing I think I have ever read, and so true. You have an amazing mother and I too, look up to her and respect her for who she is, what she believes and what she does for others. There is no question, you will be just like her!! Love yall!!!
Michelle
Sweet Elizabeth, you could have no loftier goal than to be like your Mom. Her love for others, especially her family, is like nothing I have ever known. I feel so priviledged to have been her friend for almost 40 years. I love her, treasure her and enjoy every minute we can spend together. And I feel very much the same about you. You are a carbon copy and you are blessed with her loving heart and ever present smile. This is the sweetest gift you could have given her. Uncle Sonny and I understood everything you said...we saw it happening. Blessings to all of you and much love.
Aunt Joyce
Post a Comment