Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Protector of the Peacock

Yesterday, I let you in on the hardest part of teaching.  But, I have quickly learned that there is another word that strikes fear in the hearts of every teacher...

DUTY!

UGH!  It's the worst.  We have to be in the classroom with the yahoos.  Should we really be required to supervise them otherwise?!

Let me back up and tell you about our amazing school.  One of the things that drew us, as parents, to our school is their more Western mindset when it comes to education.  The local way is to force kids to study and memorize as much information for as much time as humanly possible.

However, our school has a slightly more holistic philosophy.  They have all sorts of sports, arts, and other opportunities for students.  Our particular campus has an amazing ecology program, complete with all gardens and animals.  As parents visiting the school the animals seemed ideal.

Fast forward to now.  Now I'm not just a parent at the school, but I'm an employee, too.

The first week of school, I was dismayed to find my name down for DUTY in the front garden.  After about two seconds I realized that 1. Children like to chase animals and 2. I was the animals' only hope.  God bless the poor peacock.  The students were determined to chase that bird down and pluck it's beautiful plumes!

If you know me, you know that I am so friend to birds.  I hate them!  But, contrary to popular belief, I actually have a heart.  Accordingly, I took it upon myself to try to protect the dern bird from the torture.  So, all day long I was chasing kids who were chasing animals.

I can tell you one thing.  When peacocks get fed up and take flight, they are a force to be reckoned with.  An angry flying peacock is a great and terrifying sight!

It was as fun as you can imagine.

The worst part is that while I was playing St. Francis there was a fight on the basketball court.  By the time I showed up the fight was over and there was just a big group of boys gathered together.  Noah was in the group.  Since things looked like they had settled down, I decided to give him a break in his first week at a new school and turn a blind eye toward the boys.   Maybe next time I need to turn a blind eye to that pitiful peacock!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and I are not bird fans what a challenge sweet girl you are very brave hang in there it will get better this I know for the b&&&& tells me so you know the phrase
sending hugs to you all
Ramona

Pat said...

I am sure the peacock can protect himself. I am surprised, knowing how you feel about birds that you got within a mile of the feathered creature.
Mom