Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pondering Lent

Did you know that today is the first day of Lent?  Typically it sneaks up on me, but this year for some reason, I've been anticipating today.

Through the years I've failed at, succeeded at, and ignored giving up things for Lent.  So, this year as I was praying about what, if anything, to give up for Lent I realized something.

In the past, for me, it's been a bit of a game.  More often that not, like a way to challenge myself, instead of laying something aside and choosing more of the Lord.  I wanted to see if I could make it to Easter, not see where I could go with the Lord.

(As a painful sidenote... In 2009 I gave up chocolate.  It did not last 48 hours!  I realized that chocolate was completely and absolutely necessary for survival in this country!!!  Complete Lenten failure!)

This year I realize that the Lord wants me to focus on my attitude in the next 40 days.  I am pretty good about doing what I am supposed to do.  But, unfortunately, my attitude often stinks!  I do things out of duty instead of with joy and a servant's heart.  I grumble about situations, friends, and neighbors... and my kids.  (But not my husband!  After being gone for a month, I appreciate him more than ever!!!)

So, this year, I'm giving up my bad attitude for Lent and praying that it doesn't come back after Easter!

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Coincidence? This is what the Lord has been laying on my heart for this Lenten season as well...