I have tired to follow in my mom's footsteps and be a bit hands off on the hair, choosing to focus on character issues and other things that matter. But, I'd be lying if I told you that Noah's hair wasn't like nails on a chalkboard for me.
I told him the other day that all I wanted for Christmas was for him to get a haircut. Without pause he responded, "it's going to be a sad Christmas for you, Mom." HA! Can you believe this kid?!
Anyhow, just like in the Biblical story of Jacob and Esau last night I seized my chance. I had made Noah's favorite meal, pulled barbecue chicken. As Noah was going back for his third big helping I said I don't think you should have any more. When he started begging me the most wonderful thought popped into my mind. I promise that this was not premeditated manipulation!! "You can have one more helping if you promise me you'll get your haircut right after dinner," I bargained.
Praise the Lord, cue the Hallelujah chorus, he said YES!! So, after dinner he and Justin headed out to find a men's hairdresser. He can't go to the barber because they can only cut hair short, super short, or shaved. We used to take Noah to a guy at the mall, but they raised their prices. No twelve year old boy should pay (or expect his parents to pay) twice what the mom's haircut costs! Anyhow, they found a place over near Justin's old office and the guy did a great job.
Isn't he cute?!
I just couldn't stop looking at his face. It's like I had forgotten what he looked like. I had to admit that with the yucky long hair covering his eyes he constantly looked surly and aggravated. This haircut helps me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Noah tried to play it cool, but I could tell that he was really happy with it, too. Christmas came early this year!



1 comment:
Handsome grandson--love him always.
Post a Comment