Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

From Asia to Europe in 4 Minutes

After 10 years, the Marmaray project has finally been completed.  It is a subway that goes under the Bosphorus, linking the European and Asian sides of the city.  It opened with much fanfare on Cumhuriyet Bayramı, Tuesday.

So, for date night tonight, Justin and I decided to try it out.  I have to tell you I was equal parts terrified and curious.  But in the end, the novelty of breezing through the continents won out.

The map shows you going under the Bosphorus

Selfie under the Sea


I said it was completed, but I guess it's more accurate to say that's it has opened.  Currently it only has 4 stops.  They are working to expand this metro system and many of the other public transport systems in the city.  One day, they should all link up and make travel throughout the city effortless and quick.  I'm pretty sure I'll be dead by then!

You can learn more about the tunnel here and here.

No comments: