Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Things I've Forgotten

I must have forgotten how crazy folks drive here because after I recovered from our taxi ride home from the airport I asked Justin, "Was this driver particularly crazy or is that how folks drive here?"  He answered "Yes!"

I forgot what my flat looked like.  Not really what it looked like, but how it felt.  The kids kept saying, "Is this really where we live?  This place is tiny!"  It's not tiny, FYI.  It's just different than an American home.  Folks here do not go for an open floorplan concept at all.  Plus, my cream color tile floor seemed so bright to me after being in homes with hardwood and/or wall to wall carpeting.

I could not find the button to unlock the doors of the car.  They lock automatically when you put it in gear.  So poor Callie had to wait forever while I searched the dash and door for the button.  It is on the gearbox.

Cat fights are loud... very LOUD.  And they always seem to fight (and make up) in the middle of the night!  Gross!

I could not work my gas stove.  I kept trying to get it going- using every trick I know.  Turns out the gas supply was shut off.  Face-palm!

I forgot that they are doing construction EVERYWHERE!  Our neighborhood looks like a war zone!  With the construction comes multiple opportunities for the utility companies to tear up the streets.  Let's see... at least three times for each building... gas, water, and electric!  There are two huge holes in the street in front of our apartment right now, and trenches everywhere.  We live in the ghetto!

I forgot how communal folks here are.  They don't really have a need for time alone or personal space.  That's fun!  They certainly don't get the concept of jet lag or the need to readjust slowly!  You just have to dive right back in!  And so we shall!

No comments: