Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathering

I think that being a mother is a weird thing.  It continues to amaze me that I am, in fact, responsible for this gaggle of kids that I have somehow miraculously produced.  Sometimes I look around me and think, when did this happen, and what the heck and I going to do about all of it!  I wonder if when I was young my mother felt the same way.  Responsibility is sometimes hard and it just seems to sneak up on you.

Ya know?

If I feel like that, I know it must be tenfold for Justin.  He's the provider.  The one we all look to.  This family hangs its hat on that man!  The good news is that we couldn't ask for a better man to head our family.  He is funny and kind.  Wise and merciful.  A friend and disciplinarian.  Justin is such a great example to our kids.  He doesn't lecture them or try to tell them how to live and what to do- he lives it.  Noah, Callie, and Lucy are so blessed to call him Daddy!

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Justin's dad is the greatest!  He is fun and kind.  He oozes compassion but frosts it with snarky wit.  He's the kind of guy you want to hang out with all the time.  When he and Justin are together, it's like two kids making adolescent jokes and looking for trouble.  He is easy to talk to and slow to offer an opinion.  We are so thankful to be able to call Tom Dad, and we just love him to pieces.

On my side, my father has taught me the very meaning of loyalty.  One of my favorite things growing up was that my dad ran his own business out of our home.  That afforded him flexibility.  I always knew without a doubt that my mom and dad would be at my events.  No matter how big or small my part, my parents were there, on my side, cheering me on.  I can only imagine there were other things that my Daddy would have rather been doing.  But he was there for me every time.  Every time!

He has always offered wise advice and as I've grown older I actually appreciate it!  HA!  My dad is a quality time kind of guy.  So there is nothing better than going out to breakfast together, going for hike, or just hanging out one on one with him.  We love you so much, Daddy!


What Is A Dad?

A dad is someone who
wants to catch you before you fall
but instead picks you up,
brushes you off,
and lets you try again. 

A dad is someone who
wants to keep you from making mistakes
but instead lets you find your own way,
even though his heart breaks in silence
when you get hurt. 

A dad is someone who
holds you when you cry,
scolds you when you break the rules,
shines with pride when you succeed,
and has faith in you even when you fail...

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Tom and I were touched and cried by this beautiful tribute to the fathers in your family. Justin is blessed to have you in his corner and we are all blessed to have you in our families.