Anyhow, while Max and Isaiah were here (yes, I know I promised that I was done posting about their trip, but this isn't exactly about them so I've kept my promise!) my name came up in the parent rotation in Lucy's kindergarten class. Luckily for me, my name came on on the Friday that they were exploring Ephesus. (The same day I got to meet Stori!)
Each week a parent was to come in and do something with the students. There weren't really any guidelines, and it was fun to see what creative things the parents came up with. One mom played the flute for the kids. Another mom helped the kids make grass men (think Chia Pet). I decided it would be fun to have the kids decorate sugar cookies.
Boy was it an adventure!
First off, I had been so busy with guests, life and other stuff, that I didn't have time to even make the cookies until late Thursday night. I totally skitzed about how many to make because I couldn't remember exactly how many kids were in Lucy's class. So I was up rolling out dough and using little boy and girl shaped cookie cutters way into the a.m. Then I made a huge batch of icing, put a few spoonfuls into little baggies, and used food coloring to dye each one a different color. I bought bits of chocolate and scoured my cabinets for sprinkles and other edible decorations.
I was so nervous walking into school. I always feel like everyone is paying extra attention to me because I'm the foreign lady. It's especially bad when I bring in such crazy things for the kids to do!
I got everything set up and ready. As I was prepping everything on the table outside the class each person that walked by stopped and asked me a million questions about what on earth I was doing!
The kids were really excited, but I realized that they didn't really understand what we were doing at first. The whole deal was such a foreign concept to them! I showed them some already decorated cookies. Then I showed them how to decorate the cookies. I had them all sit down. Then I put several icing bags and other supplies down the middle of each table. I gave the boys little boy sugar cookies and the girls little girl sugar cookies.
Once I told them to go to work, it took most of them quite a while to get into it. It was funny to watch them slowly realize that you really could eat the stuff. I think they were a bit afraid that it would be gross or something.
The funniest thing was one little boy named Gökan. He held up his hand showing me a big smear of blue icing on his finger and asked me for a wet wipe. I told him to lick it off and he looked at me like I was crazy. I told him again and mimed licking it off in case he hadn't understood me. Slowly he sort of licked it off. I went on to help some of the other kids. But, the next time I looked over at him, he had the icing baggie in his mouth sucking all the icing out! I guess he decided he liked it! HA!
In the end I had enough cookies for the kids to each do a couple. They were so proud of their creations. The teacher gave the kids permission to eat one at snack time and we had to put the rest in baggies for the kids to take home. I am so curious what the parents thought!











2 comments:
Looks like the "foreign lady " had a great idea and the kids had so much fun. I remember edible art from your school days.
I love this story. I loved the photos. I loved the sweet faces. I especially loved Lucy's face and her pride in the wonderful experience that her Mother shared with all of the other children.
Deb
Post a Comment