Max and Isaiah shocked us by being willing and able to get up and get going on their first morning! I had planned a really lax morning because I figured that they wouldn't be able to get up. Maybe that's just me and I don't have jet lag to blame!
For the morning, we planned to give them a taste of our normal lives here. They took Noah to school with Justin. Then I put out a big breakfast that is pretty typical here.
Afterwards Justin toured them around our neighborhood in the car. Then they prayer-walked through our neighborhood. Here are some of their pictures:
![]() |
| View from one of our windows |
![]() |
| A mosque being built near our home |
![]() |
| Looking out the windshield |
![]() |
| One of the busier streets with lots of shops and restaurants |
![]() |
| A small fraction of our part of the city |
![]() |
| laundry |
After a thorough tour, Justin took them over to meet our team leaders for a quick tea. It was a last minute thing, because I didn't think that Max and Isaiah would be up and functioning as early as they were. So, I was so glad that our TLs were free and flexible!
After that they came back home to gear themselves up for some sight-seeing on the other side. First, they walked the girls to school.
![]() |
| Max, Lucy, and Callie walking to school |
After they dropped the girls off, Justin took Max and Isaiah to the other side.
![]() |
| At the main intersection near our home waiting for a minibus. Justin is probably telling the guys to jump in and hold on for dear life! HA! |
![]() |
| Isaiah posing down at the pier |
![]() |
| The commute to the other side includes a boat ride. It is one of our favorite things about the city! |
![]() |
| One of the two bridges that span the continents |
![]() |
| Historic mosque on the water's edge |
![]() |
| They started sight-seeing at this city's equivalent of New York's fifth Ave. |
![]() |
| The street is closed to cars and it has this historic trolly that goes from end to end. |
![]() |
| Justin introduced the guys to döner sandwiches. YUM! It is meat that is vertically roasted (the Greeks call it Gyro) and then thinly shaved off. |
![]() |
| They explored this tower |
![]() |
| On a clear day, the views from the tower are beautiful |
![]() |
| The size of this city always surprises me |
![]() |
![]() |
| Isaiah has a talent for being able to photograph himself! |
After getting the bird's eye view from the tower, Justin took the guys to the city's best baklava restaurant.
![]() |
| I didn't like baklava until I ate this! |
![]() |
| Trays and trays of all sorts of sugary, nutty, flaky pastry goodness |
![]() |
| Then they continued on across this famous bridge that spans the Golden Horn. |
![]() |
| This bridge is always packed with fishermen. |
![]() |
| Then, back on to the ferry to return to our side of the city |
![]() |
| The sea around the city is packed with jellyfish. The locals say they don't sting, but I'm not brave enough to test it! |
The guys came home to spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, good conversations, and lots of laughs. It was so fun to hear their take on the things that they had seen and experienced. I am so amazed at how much I have just gotten used to over the past 5 years. Seeing things through fresh eyes again is such a treat!!

































No comments:
Post a Comment