Today was the best day yet. We got up and out early (for us) and headed way over to the other side to the new aquarium. I wanted to be there right when it opened because I was worried that it would get crowded later in the day.
Justin got me a fancy phone for Christmas (pictures from yesterday). I love the dang thing, but I can hardly work it! HA! I got everything all mapped out last night and thought I was ready to roll for this morning. When we got in the car I went to look at the map on my phone and it won't work. We have pay as you go cell service and mine had run out!
But, I thought that I remembered the direction to go, so we started out. (In hindsight, I was a little too paranoid about getting there right at opening time! I should have stopped at a cell phone store in our neighborhood and bought a minute-card.) Stupid me, I had Noah send like a bi-jillion texts to Justin asking him to put money on my phone. Guess how many went through... none! DUH! It wasn't working!
I figured that I knew the area where the aquarium was, and I could follow signs on the highway to that location. Surely after that there would be all sorts of signs for the aquarium.
Wrong!
So we get way, way out, and I began to panic because I had not seen ONE sign for the area of the city that I wanted to go to. I finally got off the highway and drove all through some crazy tiny city streets to find a cell phone store. I finally found one, parked in the road (anything goes here!), and ran in to get the stupid scratch-off cards to put money on the phone. I jumped back in the car to drive to a safe place and then got my phone set up.
After a quick call to Justin we were back on our way. I was just one exit away from where I wanted to be!! We found the aquarium quite easily after that.
So, get REALLY comfortable. I brought my big camera with me this time, and there are lots of pictures!
 |
My cuties at the beginning of the Aquarium.
They had a scale model of the big water way in our city and the waterfront buildings. |
 |
| Examining the fish |
 |
| These kids are so weird! |
 |
| Lucy knows how to pick 'em |
 |
I can't remember why on earth this statue was even there.
But, of course, Noah found it hilarious! |
 |
One of many sharks in the huge tank.
I could have sat there all day and watched all the fish! |
 |
Lion fish in front.
Way in the back you can faintly see two goober fish. |
 |
| Rainforest exhibit |
 |
Of course we had to eat lunch at the little cafe. It was right on the water.
The aquarium is located just between the sea and the airport. So, while we ate,
we got to watch planes coming in to land. |
The weather was cloudy and drizzly so we didn't go to the top of the tall building like I had planned. Instead, we went to visit this historic church (now a mosque) that I had been wanting to see. It is a small replica of the huge church that the emperor Justinian built. He had this one built to be more like his personal family chapel.
 |
| Outside the "Little" Ayasofya |
 |
The courtyard- with a small cemetery and a place for the men to do their ceremonial washing
before their prayers. |
 |
| I bet the water coming out of those spigots is freezing!! |
 |
Inside- the domed ceiling.
The paintings were beautiful! |
 |
| The podium (so to speak) for the Imam to give his Friday lessons. |
 |
| This area used to be the narthex when this was a church. |
 |
| Three monkeys standing up on top of the women's prayer area. |
 |
| From the balcony looking forward. |
 |
Beautiful stonework and etchings.
I wonder what it says... |
 |
On the balcony looking towards the back entrance.
The stripes in the carpet are sort of diagonal to the entrance.
They help orient the pray-ers towards the east. |
 |
| Other side of the balcony looking towards the front entrance. |
 |
| The front door. |
 |
| A beautifully restored Ottoman-style home. |
After leaving the Ayasofya I punched "go home" into the GPS and it took us to the car ferry. When I saw that that's how it wanted me to go I got nervous because I have never fooled with the ferry. I always use one of the big bridges. We've only been on the car ferry once and it was a much bigger one that goes much farther. Regardless, Justin felt with it.
But, I was feeling adventurous and so we went for it. It was so fun! I love the ferry!
 |
| Everyone lining up on the boat. |
 |
| Noah was listening to "Adventures in Odyssey" so he stayed in the car. |
 |
| My favorite tower. |
 |
| People on the ferries toss bits of bread and the seagulls catch it like a golden retriever! |
 |
| Callie couldn't resist. So I gave her a lira to buy some bread. |
 |
| Having fun on the ferry. |
 |
| Nearing our port. |
Today was my favorite day in a long time with the kids! It was relaxed and fun. We weren't in a hurry for anything and we were all up for adventure. So fun!
Tomorrow will be much more low-key. Noah and Callie have guitar lessons and then we are going to my friend's house to visit. I and hoping to stick in a movie for the kids to watch while she and I visit!
1 comment:
Beautiful pictures and of course I love the ones with the kids.
Post a Comment