Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey

Ironically, it is a bit difficult to get a turkey here.  A few larger markets sometimes have turkey meat.  But, its pieces like a breast filet, legs, etc. not a whole bird.

I went last week and ordered a whole bird from the butcher.  He said it would be no problem, took my information, and asked what size I wanted.  They tend to get really large turkeys since they cut them into smaller pieces.  I asked for an 8 kilo if possible.

They called me on Monday to let me know that my turkey was in.  I asked them to hold it for me until Friday.  So, yesterday the girls and I went to get our bird.  It was sitting out with all the other meat out in the case.  Thank God they had not sold it!  I would have flipped out!

We got it home and stuck it in the fridge.

The water was cut from about mid-afternoon on.  I kept waiting for the water to come back on, but by 9 o'clock I gave up.  So Justin and I used some of our big reserve jugs of water to wash the bird.  Then we layered three garbage bags, put some salt water in, and dumped the bird in.  We put it in a plastic wash basin and set it on the balcony to brine.

Pretty soon I'll start cooking the thing.  I could only find a smallish roasting pan.  So, it will be a bit like fat turkey in a little pan.  To top it off, our ovens here are quite small.  It is quite possible that the turkey will be touching the oven on all 4 sides!  HA!

Oh the joys of Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for you and your sweet family
sending hugs
Love ya
Ramona