With that said, here's the highlight reel from our almost two weeks back.
1. LOTS of visiting and eating until we were beyond stuffed during holiday visits. Children (coming off a month of indulgence in the States) who were over-indulged with candy or whatever they want. It is the "Sugar Holiday" after all! Late nights, too!
2. A fridge that was freezing and ruining all the food. It had to be repaired. In order to do that, had to be unplugged and left open for at least 8 hours. So, more ruined food despite my best efforts to save it.
3. A broken shower head that detached from the hose and sprayed all around like a crazy cartoon hose.
4. A 5:30 am airport run to pick up my friend's aunt.
5. A Saturday afternoon airport run to pick up returning teammates.
6. Justin's employee's wedding. The kids weren't invited, so they stayed with our neighbors. It was at a restaurant with a beautiful terrace overlooking the big straight that passes through our city. Although it was beautiful, it was super boring because no one would talk to us. I guess they were afraid that they'd catch our cooties!
7. A few meals with our other expat friends to catch up after a summer apart.
At one of the meals the kids went to the park out behind our friends' building. There was a big group of naughty kids that were harassing and chasing our kids. So I went out there to dole out some justice. They could care less. The big group of kids just started harassing me, too. UGH! Where's my tazer when I need it?
8. The kids and I took a hike over to and then through the forest not too far from our flat. They've made it into a huge picnic park.
9. Lucy got to spend the night with her sweet little friend.
10. Yesterday they did the drawing to place children in morning or afternoon kindergarden. I just happened to show up at the school when the meeting was ending. (I needed an official document from the school to renew the kids' residence visas.)
I didn't even know that there was going to be a meeting. So I was frustrated that I missed it. Then I was devastated to find out that Lucy had been put into morning kindergarden.
I tried to
I had to leave (kids in tow) and go around the corner and cry for a few minutes. That made the kids cry.
They must think were are the craziest people on earth!!
I got myself together and went back into the school and got the documents I needed.
11. After we finished up at the school, the kids and I went to the bazaar. Since I lost so much food from my broken fridge, I had a lot to get- spinach to cook down and freeze, herbs to wash and freeze, and lots of fruit and vegetables for the week.
I was so excited to find strawberries. Of all the things that were ruined when the fridge was broken, the worst thing was my strawberries. Strawberry season is really short. They come and go so quickly, and then you're left pining away for mid-May and the return of the sweet yumminess. Every winter Callie begs me for a strawberry cake for her birthday. But of course, strawberries are no where to be found.
So, last May I washed, cut, and froze strawberries for the winter. I was so proud of my forethought! By the time my fridge was working again, they were a giant bag of mush!
Sadness!
Well, one tiny stand had beautiful sweet little strawberries. I could not believe it! What a blessing and a reminder that yes, life is hard, but God is here.
I know this sounds like a bit list of whining and complaining. It sort of is. What can I say? I'm a bit of a wimp. I cannot fathom why the Lord called me to this sort of work when I am so weak. But He did, and He is faithful to carry me through the good weeks and the bad.
Not only did he provide strawberries out of season for me, He spoke to my heart and comforted me about morning kindergarden for Lucy. Our shower is fixed. Our fridge is fixed. And after a day of washing and chopping vegetables and preparing meat that had thawed, our fridge is totally stocked.
Things are looking up!
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34

1 comment:
Praying for you! God is in the details and nothing gets past Him. He wants Lucy in the morning class...you might not see it now, but He knows. Might be a special friend He has picked out for her or a parent you are to meet and share His love.
BTW, I love that you are real and honest sharing your highs and lows. It makes it real, and that is what life is.
Love you,
Carol
Post a Comment