Justin didn't have to work on Saturday so we got to go out as a family. We ate a quick breakfast at the hotel and then headed out to the train station. The train station was just a few blocks away. We bought an all day transportation pass. So, we could hop on and off of the trains, tube, etc.
We rode the train into Waterloo (I just love saying Waterloo). Then connected to the tube and came up at Victoria Station.
A traditional English taxi cab. Even the newest cabs are still made in this style.
Victoria Station
We were trying to see the changing of the guard. They only do it once every other day. Unfortunately every tourist in all of the United Kingdom was there, too. This is out in front of Buckingham Palace. The Bobbies had stopped traffic so that the guards could march through. There was a band, guards, and mounted guards.
The guards marching towards the palace.
The mounted guards
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace with the Victoria memorial statue in front
The guards marching back to wherever they came from after the ceremony.
St. James Park park with the London Eye and Big Ben Clocktower in the distance
Westminster Abbey
They had a really neat activity for kids, so we got to really explore and they weren't too bored. They had their own clipboards with a special leaflet of things to find, count, etc. It was a bit like a scavenger hunt.
One of the clergymen (I don't know exactly what they are called in the Church of England) spotted us and showed us around a bit. He even opened up the special spot where the Queen sits when she comes to the Abbey. He let me go up the stairs and stand in her spot, but not sit on her cushion.
There was no photography in the Abbey so all I have are outside shots. The whole thing was just gorgeous!! Since the kids were having so much fun on their scavenger hunt we really had time to explore.
The clocktower that houses Big Ben. Big Ben is not the tower it is the bells.
Parliament
Sort of a spooky view of Big Ben
Across the Thames from parliament
Noah, Callie, and Lucy in front of Parliament
While Justin waited in line to get tickets for the London Eye we ate a quick lunch.
There was a McDonald's really close but I refused to allow us to eat there! Hot dogs from a street vendor seemed like the better choice. HA!
The Millenium Bridge from the London Eye
Noah and Callie were a nervous wreck on the London Eye. Callie cowered most of the time, and Noah hollered at anyone who went near the sides.
Finally they loosened up a bit and started to walk around and look out.
From the Eye we took the tube towards Piccadilly Circus.
We were walking towards Trafalgar Square when we heard drumming. So we went over to see what was going on.
We ended up in China Town and they were celebrating Chinese New Year. It was really fun and festive. I have always wanted to see these big dragons. The street was lined with Chinese restaurants. Each one put out an offering for the dragons. The dragons would go up to each restaurant and "eat" the offering.
Beautiful buildings the we saw while walking towards Trafalgar Square. By this point we had practically walked our legs off, so the pictures and descriptions are sparse. Sorry!










































3 comments:
Thank you for all the great pictures feel like I've been to London
Love ya
Awesome! I really enjoy your blog as it allows me to feel a part of your lives. It is so hard to be away from you, but your pictures and stories make me feel like you are much closer. Your blog is a daily dose of family for this grandmother.
I have so many comments
1) That cab looks like the Super Nanny came to visit you. I love it!
2) I think that is the only kind of picture you can get of Big Ben. I have one identical...He is pretty tall!!!! but still really cool!
3) did you take any video? We just talked about Chinese New Year in my class!!! I would love to have video of the real dragons! My kids loved seeing them!!! How cool. I am soo Jealous! I hope you told them Gung Hay Fat Choy!!! =) Love you all!!!
Post a Comment