It is REALLY hard to teach our children and even ourselves the true meaning of Christmas. We get so easily wrapped up in the gifts, the decorating, the food... everything BUT the coming of Christ.
It is hard to find ways that help us focus on Him when everything around us is telling us to think about ourselves- what we want, what we deserve, what things we are lacking in life.
NOTHING. The answer is nothing!
Look around you. You probably really don't need one thing. Now, I know that I am preaching to the choir, because more often than not, I am chief whiner. For that I am embarrassed and sorry.
I probably encounter the desperately poor more often than you do, but still it is hard to feel compassion, or to realize that I could easily forego some of the junk that I want and help someone else.
Well, this Christmas, wouldn't it be great to do just that?
Do you want to change the world?
Do you want to rekindle the fire of Christmas in your heart?
Look at this.
Compassion International has been around for years and years helping children and families escape the vicious cycle of poverty. They are truly an amazing organization.
Now, you and I know that you are worried about making a commitment, or starting something that you think you probably won't finish. But, you don't have to start with a commitment- maybe just a special gift.
How great an impact would it make on your children if you all ponied up some cash and then went through this guide together to choose a way to help those in desperate situations.
Don't you think that your heart would just explode from joy if you gave up your daily coffee run a few times and instead choose to help protect someone from deadly disease with a mosquito net, or help provide some educational materials and therefore a much brighter future for someone else. Its the chance to literally save a life and help provide a future.
One person, one act, can truly make a difference. And that one person could be you. That is what Christmas is about. Christ came into this world as an ultimate act of compassion for our lost and sinful selves. Shouldn't Christ-followers do the same for those around us? Shouldn't our hearts be broken for those all around the world who are lost, and desperate, and sick, and fatherless, and hungry?
Can you imagine giving the gift of hope this Christmas? Talk about something that lasts!
If you want proof, watch this video. But, prepare to have your heart broken!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment