Today when I went to the little market on our block to buy onions. I tried to hand the guy my one lira coin to pay for my onions. Rookie mistake!
The market is right across from our mosque, and I think the market owner/worker also has some sort of position or something at that mosque. He is very religious. He wears the clothes that the pious people wear. He recites from the Koran constantly. And he is closed during every prayer time.
Anyhow, I forgot that religious (pious) people will not take money from someone's hand. As I tried to hand the lira to him he tapped the counter. I thought that he was pointing out an add in the newspaper. So I started to read it and wondered why he thought I would be interested in the furniture sale. In the end he had to tell me to place the money on the counter. He told me that he could not take money from my hand.
Guess he'd catch my pagan cooties! HA!
I knew that rule, anyway. I just forgot. It's hard to keep all the little cultural things straight, and with whom to practice the customs.
Wear this. Don't wear that. Say this to sort-of religious people. Say this to very religious people. Never say that to anyone. Serve the men. Don't serve the men. Don't ever make eye contact. Put the money on the counter. Put the money in an envelope. Don't pay money for that. If you ask the price that way they will think you are asking for "services." Say it like this and they will know you are also religious.
The list is 4 miles long!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Unspoken rules and procedures are the undoing of us all.
Post a Comment