Tomorrow is our country's independence day so today Noah and Callie had a half day at school. Actually, they always have a half day. But, instead of going from 12:45 to 5:45 they went from 10:00 to 12:30.
All around our city there are advertisements for this exhibit, and I really wanted to see it. I looked up the museum and found out that Thursdays were free. So I made a plan for a delightful afternoon of exploration and culture with my older kids at the museum... of modern art.
Um... yeah, modern art is weird!!
It is our rainy season, so the three of us headed out in what felt like a freezing monsoon! We took two minibuses, a boat, and a tram to get to the museum. As we entered I noticed that everyone is in line and paying. Turns out that this exhibit is not free, but the rest of the museum is. I really wanted to see the exhibit so I payed for us.
Have you seen or heard of Body Worlds? It is simultaneously disgusting and fascinating. Noah has just started to learn all about the body in science, so this was interesting to him. Actually each of us was very interested if not sometimes scandalized by the things we saw.
I got the chance to go around with the kids and explain how God made them and what different parts of their bodies do. I was surprised by how interested they were. They did not hurry or pass by a single thing. I was fascinated about how intricate the systems of our bodies are.
Truly, the Lord is a master creator!
After the exhibit, we were off to explore the rest of the museum. Yes, it was free. And I am so glad. I am sorry. I try to appreciate things even if they aren't exactly my style, but seriously?
Seriously?
How can some of that stuff be called art?
My favorite was a huge white room with a cluster of clear beach-balls suspended in the middle. The cluster had thin black ropes jutting out from every angle anchored throughout the room. It looked like in the movies when rooms have those cool laser security systems going every which way. I am pretty sure Callie has never seen that in the movies, but she was inspired. She wiggled, wound, and crawled her way around the object and its ropes. She has a career in espionage ahead of her should she choose that path!
We also liked (not sure that's the right word) a weird seven minute video where two chuckleheads from way out east in our country acted out Don Quixote. I don't know if it was a comedy, but we sure did laugh. A lot!!
It was all so confusing but interesting.... and FREE! So, there's that! If I had had to pay admission into the museum I may not have had such a good time.
With the freezing rain still pouring we headed home. Of course, we were obligated by the fact that we hold American passports to stop in when we walked passed a Starbucks and have some hot chocolate to warm our souls!
It was a good day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment