Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hodge-Podge

I did well on my language evaluation. Thank you so much for your prayers. Our team members have regular language evaluations as part of our contract with the team. It helps to make sure that everyone is progressing on the task of language learning! I rocked it!

Noah and Callie came home last night with the news that there is no school today. The school was being used for a practice exam for the middle schoolers. Grades 6-8 take huge exams at the beginning of the summer each year. After all three tests have been completed, the scores are averaged and each child is placed into a high school. It basically determines their entire life track. If you don't test well, you may not even place in a high school. It is such a difficult system and so far from the American mentality of "you can be anything you dream of!"

Justin flies to Germany in about 6 hours. He has a huge interview tomorrow afternoon in front of a panel of people! The thought makes me go weak in the knees. I know he will do great! His suit is pressed and he looks incredibly handsome in it! I hope they get a glimpse of what a great man he is. But just a glimpse!!! I want them to hire him but not kidnap him!!! Please pray for him- confidence, peace, wisdom, and that he lands the job.

We will be in America this time next month. I cannot even imagine what it will be like. I am so excited, but scared, too. How on earth do you make up for three years in three months? Am I going to survive saying goodbye again? Will I get enough time with the people I love? Will I be able to convince Justin to buy me a little dog? Will my bridesmaid dress fit? WIll my kids behave in their uncle's wedding? How will I be able to relax but not turn into a lazy butt? Will I gain 100 pounds from eating all the food we have missed? Will we be what people want us to be? Will anyone understand us? Will our kids be too different from the other kids? Will I forget all the language that I have worked my butt off to learn? Will our kids be ok? Will I be able to leave? Will I be able trust God to provide for all of our needs? Will everything be too different? Will America feel weird, too, so that we don't really feel at home anywhere anymore? Will people think we are nuts? Will I be myself, and who is that anyway these days? Will my kids love or hate America? Will we watch so much television that our eyes fall out and brains turn to mush? Will we want to buy everything in sight since we have gone without for so long? Will we be overwhelmed? Will people think we are failures?

Um... so, yeah. I didn't know I was going to tell you all that. But, there it is- nice and raw. The emotions behind this trip are unlike any I have ever experienced. When Justin called me with the news that he bought the tickets many months back I cried, and they were not happy tears. I cannot even explain it.

So, anyway... I washed my lettuce three times when I brought it home from the bazar. I opened my lettuce container to make salad last night and it was still crawling with bugs! GAG!! Who says organic is better? Give me some pestacides, please! I had to dump the whole thing in the trash.

The weather is beautiful right now. Warm, but not hot. I know it will only last for a few more days so we are trying to enjoy the heck out of it!!! Callie has put about 200 miles on her bike lately! She is so cute on that thing.

What is the deal with that crazy oil spill out in the Gulf?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry sweet girl when you all are home it will be wonderful and you have to know that your family and friends are waiting to hug you all and to us you will be our same sweet family having a grand time with your loved ones!
Lots of love
Ramona

Anonymous said...

Strange as it may sound, I understand. I mean I cannot know what you are feeling--the ambivalence, excitement, the worry; but I think I can appreciate it. As in all things, He is bigger than any of our thoughts and concerns.

Jennifer said...

I have been thinking about you guys a lot lately. Oddly enough, after I commented on your last blog, I actually was asking myself, "Will America feel foreign to them now?" - I remembered when I went to college, when I would come back "home" to visit, it just felt like it didn't fit me anymore. And that was just another city and state, not an entire continent! I will keep thinking of you all!