Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Every Mom's Battle

Today Noah wanted to take his American football to school to play with at recess. His teacher told him he could teach the class how to play American football. I didn't think much of it until he got to school. He pulled it out of his bag and was showing the other kids from his class. I panicked. I so want him to be who he is, and exactly the individual that God made him to be. BUT, at the same time I don't want him to be too different. There are already so many differences and to highlight another one worries me! Kids can be so cruel!

I know so many moms walk this line, so my struggle is not unusual. I want my kids to be unique and who they are, yet all too often I want them to be like everyone else! It feels especially difficult since we are here, and not like anyone. We feel it so acutely sometimes- the differences can be exhausting. Interestingly enough, at other times it doesn't feel like there are so many differences after all.

But the reality in all of this is that I most want God's heart for my kids. I want them to be happy and content in their relationship with Him, and confident in who He made them to be. That's all that really matters- not what anyone else thinks, right?!

My heart was so happy before I left the school-yard and saw Noah playing catch with about 4 other boys. He can really throw that ball! (Tim Tebow watch out here comes my boy!) The boys were laughing and playing so I felt reassured. It was the first time they had gotten their hands on an American football, and I couldn't help but laugh at how crazy those boys throw the ball. If only I could hide in the school yard and watch Noah teach his class how to play! I bet that would be interesting!!!

No comments: