Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Adventures in Language

Um... its the 3 day holiday here. Everyone eats and visits for three straight days. It is lovely. Rather... it would be lovely if I wasn't swamped with a composition and a speech to write.

For some insane reason I decided to speak about the American Civil War. I have to qualify which civil war it is seeing as how out here in the real world "THE" civil war ain't very specific. The Korean kid in my class told our professor that he was doing his speech on General Lee. I got all excited, telling him we were doing the same topic. Uh...nope. Apparently there is another General Lee (Li?)! Who would of thought! HA!

But I digress! How on earth do you explain the Civil War to a bunch of foreign people in an hour or less in a foreign language? Lots of visual aides- that's how!


Here is another story of language stupidity:

One day I sent Justin out to the market to pick up some package soup for a recipe I was trying. He picked up three packets of the required soup, but unfortunately only the top one was the right kind. The other two were işkembe çorbası. I didn't think much of it, and stuck them in the cabinet. Well, the other night I was searching the cabinets for something to make for dinner. It has just gotten cool here so soup sounded great. I pulled out the işkembe çorbası and decided to give it a try. It looked fine- creamy and good, but as I was dishing it out I noticed that it smelled really strong. Thank God, and I mean it... THANK GOD I went to my dictionary to look up işkembe knowing that çorba is soup. Turns out that I was about to feed my family TRIPE SOUP!!! From a package no less! GAG. I had to dump it, and start over with something else for dinner. I couldn't even finish dumping it, I was gagging at the smell. Justin had to do the dirty work!

Minimal literacy is fun!!! Makes the work I am putting into going to school seem worth it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can do it! I have no doubt you are the 'ONE" I have always known you can do anything you put your mind too sweet girl--- go get them
Love to you all
Ramona

Sue said...

seriously? TRIPE SOUP?! and you thought Japanese food was weird! ha!

I read that section to Mark and he was howling at the thought - and the fact that Justin had to pitch it for you. ;) 'cuz he would've had to do the same for me, too. LOL

oh, and btw - congrats on not assuming that your Korean friend's report was on an orange Dodge Charger with an 01 painted on the side. ;)

xoxo

Unknown said...

My boyfriend's son is learning about the Civil War in school up here. i have a feeling it will be easier to explain it to the foreigners than these yankees. Remember it is the "War of Northern Agression" My boyfriend said if he had fed the yankee soldiers it would have stopped them dead in their tracks. (He quit enjoys southern cooking!) Glad you didn't eat the tripe soup.. blaaah.