In the future I would love to teach English. Everyone is always asking us to teach them, or if they have a bit of English they like to practice with us. My neighbors across the street have asked me to tutor their son, and although I get this question a lot, I feel like the Lord is prompting me to follow up on this one. I really like this family and this opportunity would give me more time with them. So I have started to do some research on how and where to start. As a language learned myself, I have a good idea on how to go about it. So I was just browsing the internet for most used words and common greetings/ phrases. This is what I learned today:

When meeting someone formally for the first time, we shake their hand and say "How do you do?" or "Pleased to meet you."
"How do you do?" isn't really a question, it just means "Hello".

When young people meet informally they sometimes say "Give me five!" and slap their hands together (high five).
Generally we do not shake hands with people we know well.
This is so funny! Um... can you say inacurate?! I am from the south, we hug everyone- from those we just met to those we have known for years!
After reading this, I feel the need to high five a bit more seeing as how it's our national gesture and all.
Slap me some skin!!
1 comment:
I noticed that with the family that I am working for. They are from Malaysia and English is their second language. It is funny how many out of date sayings that they use. Good luck!!! Love ya!
Post a Comment