Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Party Pictures

Ever since we were invited to a birthday party here, I knew our day was coming. So, after a year, I felt ready to host my first "event." As it grew closer, I actually began to get excited about hosting Lucy's 2nd birthday party. Invitations here are done by word of mouth. So a week before Lucy's party, I began inviting our friends and neighbors. Because things are done by word of mouth, you never know who is going to show up, and who may bring a friend or family member. We only had one woman and her daughter show up that I didn't know and another friend's sister whom I had met before. So, that was good. I had 17 women and 15 kids come.

Whenever we would talk to Lucy about her party she would say, "Yeaaaaa!" and start clapping! SO CUTE!

My friend helped me figure out the menu, and Justin ordered the cake, cookies, and börek (a yummy layered pastry). My friend made a carrot salad (carrots, plain yogurt, and garlic), another friend made kısır (bulgar with olive oil, tomatoes, parsley, and green onions), and another friend made a pound cake. I made an orange marmalade yogurt cake and my momma's banana bread muffins.

The women basically sit around talk, eat, and drink tea while the kids run wild. There is not much emphasis on the birthday child. Since I was the hostess, I was quite busy serving everyone. But, the women love to help out the foreigner, so everyone pitched in. One lady gave the boys the sparklers instead of putting them in the cake. So they waved them around the room while everyone sang the T-ish version of "Happy Birthday." Then someone- not Lucy- blew out the candles and that was that!! No pictures of it because I was holding Lucy and praying the rug wouldn't catch on fire!!




Callie getting ready to party!



My first guest arrived at 1:30 (the party was to start at 2). Shortly after this sweet little girl arrived another friend sent her son up early. So fun to have these "helpers" while I was running around trying to get the last minute things done! HA HA!



This little girl is named Merve. She and Callie play together a lot. Her mom was my first friend here.



This is my dear sweet friend, Çiğdem, and her son Serhat. Her husband is a deadbeat. He refuses to work, so she works 4 jobs to support her 2 boys. She works in our office assembling cards and has come so far in her understanding and acceptance of the Gospel.



Betul couldn't wait to give Lucy the gift she picked out for her. A bright yellow stuffed bunny rabbit. Lucy loved it- called it "Baby" and carried it around all day.



Lucy's cake



The food table. Of course, I forgot to take pictures of the other decorations. We hung up streamers, balloons, and a princess banner that said "Happy Birthday!".



Starting clockwise from the plates: kısır, carrot salad, and orange marmalade cake.



the cake



Clockwise from the drinks (juice, Fanta Orange, and Coke), peynir börek (layered cheese pastry), cookies, meat börek (layered pastry with spiced ground beef), pound cake, banana nut muffins, and more kısır.



I laid out picnic blankets and let the kids eat on the floor in our family room.



Some of the women just pulled chairs right up to the food table and ate!



My sweet friend Gülsevin. Her second child is due on December 25th! Don't tell her, but I might take him!!



Unfortunately, my friends aren't very good with technology, so I had to have Callie take pictures when Lucy opened her presents. This is Çiğdem, my teenage neighbor from downstairs, another neighbor- Fatma with her baby Osman, and my forehead.



Thanks, Callie, for the closeup!



Merve, Menekşe (she lives below us), and in the chair in front of the window is Arzu's sister (I don't know her name).



Callie's view of Lucy opening a present.



Lucy examining a gift.


href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgQSIm1kQhuEZb_5C92ftTykXijvphRj5J7nq06yTYK6SeoKiK8zXIwmGtsca1uuwTv74XN0w5tSua04OFoxuhVsJm0rzjpHBhCTHzJ9GrwcM2A8x-HFD-T4Jpy9X_tBSQr-O8WTZeWjuM/s1600-h/DSC03854.jpg">
Still examining.



Then the dress-up clothes came out. Kids love to play with our dress-up clothes.



Here are most of the kids in costumes. They had a blast dressing up!


So, the party was a great success! Everyone ate their fill and had a great time. Lucy was adorable. It was so fun to celebrate her.

Everyone left by about 6:00. The kids were all outside playing, and Lucy was dying to play with them. So I took her out for a bit. We came in and Lucy watched a video while I tried to get the flat back in order.

I had the flat all cleaned up, except the kitchen, when Noah and Callie and a friend came in and started to wreck havoc again. After the kids' friend left, I almost had the flat cleaned up again when a neighbor dropped by. Yes, you read that right... MY NEIGHBOR AND HER KIDS CAME OVER!! They didn't want to come to the party because they thought it would be too crowded. So, I put the teapot on and began to entertain... again! Needless to say, Justin was surprised that I still had guests when he arrived home from a seminar at 8:30. The woman and her kids stayed until 10:30!! Then I got to scoot the kids off to bed and clean the flat up AGAIN!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like a fun party! I LOVE the boobie hug comment!

Robinson's Round-Up said...

I am loving those sweet girls in their piggy tails! And what a great job you did...the food looks delicious! I am glad that you feel more confident!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about the party and seeing the pictures lil Miss Lucy looked adorable [still think she looks like her"Gamma']glad Aidan's birthday party was only 3 hrs.He and Lucy look about the same size hard to believe they are already 2 years old
Love to you all
Ramona

Anonymous said...

Hey Elizabeth! I can't believe how much your sweet kids have grown. You sound wonderful and the kids look like they are having the time of their lives. What a great hostess you are.