I have this Libyan friend from my language class, and lately we have had some really good discussions. I was asking him why he thinks people kill in the name of religion. It seems very contradictory to me. But, we shouldn't kid ourselves, people from all religions have been doing it since Old Testament times.
So, he goes on to explain a bit of the history (from his perspective) of the conflict between Palestine and Israel. Basically coming to the point that extreme-ist Muslims believe that they have the right to avenge the blood of their families and even countrymen in light of injustice. To which I replied, who are we to judge injustice?
So, he turned the question on me. Asking, when I think it is right to kill. Of course, I gave the pat answer that it's never ok, but as we dialogued, I began to think. First off, I support our troops and have family members who have served our country in the military. Aren't they being trained up to kill whoever may come against us. My friend also raised scenarios like if my home was invaded, my family was attacked, etc. To these questions it was not as easy to give the "turn the other cheek" answer. I conceded the point, but the question remains on my mind.
So, I'd like to hear from you.... When do YOU think it is ok to kill?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
First off, I must say that I'm sorry that I can't participate in your discussions with your language friend directly... sounds like alot of fun. Second, the good book specifically says that there is "a time to kill", while also saying "thou shall not murder". I would say that scripturally it is OK to kill when there is no other alternative and/or it is sanctioned by God. I'm not sure that He sanctions that much anymore, but I'm sure that it is possible. As far as "no alternative", I would say that it is primarily a last resort in deffence of self/family/country.
Eric W
Post a Comment