Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Good 'Ole Pink, Yellow, and Green!

Living in a culture that is com- pletely different than American culture takes a little bit of creativity! You never realize how much you rely on the external cues for seasons, holidays, etc. For example, walking into Wal-Mart and seeing all of the glorious school supplies used to help me get excited about back to school time. Strolling through the mall (I know its sad) and seeing the Christmas decorations while listening to the faint Christmas music playing helped me to gear up for Christmas. (Irregardless of the fact that it was barely November!) The fireworks stands began to pop up on corners (at least in Kentucky) and we knew it was almost time for a 4th of July barbecue.



Anyhow, we don't have those external reminders here. At least not for our religious and national cele- brations! So, we have to be creative in cele- brating! Here is Jennie's and my attempt to bake a red, white, and blue cake for the 4th of July. Unfortunately, I was determined to use a cake mix and the only one that I had was yellow. So even with a heap of food coloring, the color was a little skewed! Oh well, it tasted good! As you may notice, there was enough frosting to give us a sugar high that I'm not sure we've come down from yet!! That's how I like 'em!!

1 comment:

Robinson's Round-Up said...

YUM!!! That was a great cake!!!