Exactly one year ago we got off the plane to live in this country. I was heartbroken but excited. Throughout the entire two year process I kept waiting for something to stop us. I was quite sure that Jesus was going to come back, our new country was going to close to foreigners, or our company to say "no, you're not what what we're looking for." It never happened. We prayed and walked through each step, asking God to stop us if we took a mis-step.
So, I got on the plane KNOWING this was God's will for our family and at the same time expecting (needing) Him to show up in a big way. It was the scariest thing I have even thought about doing.
I think I must have been in shock those early weeks, running on adrenaline. The whole thing was so overwhelming. Looking back I don't see how we survived. Finding a flat, having work done, and setting up home from scratch- ridiculous!!! We must have been insane, or trusting God. Sometimes I think the two are quite similar! At least they feel that way!!
So, today, we are celebrating ONE YEAR. I simply cannot believe that we have lived in a foreign country for an entire year! Lucy has spent more of her life here than in America!
It has been one year since I have hugged my mom, one year since I've eaten sausage, one year since my kids have seen their grandparents, one year since I've been in a church service, one year since I've felt completely cool, calm and collected, one year since talking to someone was easy, one year since I flipped through the channels trying to choose what to watch, one year since I've driven a car, one year since I've been to Wal-Mart, one year since our clothes have been put in a dryer, one year since I wore shorts outside, one year since I could go where I wanted when I wanted and say what I wanted, one year since we felt financially stable, one year since the kids could go play out in the back yard, one year since we understood the culture, one year since we took this crazy leap for God.
In this year we have struggled with who we are and why we do things the way we do. We have started over in every since of the phrase. We used to joke about "becoming babies." It was a humorous thought until it was a reality. Not even being able to help Noah with his homework or ask where the bathroom is was not fun. Not understanding why people were doing what they were doing or what what expected of us was just the beginning of the extensive culture stress that we experienced. But after a year into this, we are beginning to feel more comfortable. We've got the city buses figured out and can speak decently. Life is beginning to feel closer to normal. We have an inkling of an idea of what to expect and how to act and what the culture dictates.
But, most of all, in this year of highs and very lows we have KNOWN that this is exactly where the Lord has called us to be. He has met us and provided for us in every way. He is good and faithful, even when following Him isn't easy or fun. God's first and best does not mean the easiest way. But, we trust that it is the best way. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME. We can say it with firm faith because we have lived it. God is good to use us even though He could just as easily speak through a donkey. God is good to put us in a place with sweet neighbors who help us along and forgive our cultural mistakes. God is good to help our children be so flexible and learn so quickly. God is good to put us on a team with people we like. God is good to keep us safe and healthy. God is good to comfort our families in our absence. God is good to show us that there is more to life than carpool, Target, and Chic-fil-A. God is good to give us a purpose, a future, and hope. God is good to love us and redeem us, to meet us, and save us. Yes, we can truly say that God has overwhelmed us with His goodness. So, yes, at times this year has felt like torture, but we wouldn't trade it for anything. Because we have been in the palm of the Father. He has carried us and drawn us in. HE IS TRULY GOOD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Luke's sermon this morning was on shinning the light of Christ and rejoicing no matter what our circumstances, no matter how much we are struggling or persecuted and no matter what "life" throws at us. I thought of you all! Not that you are being persecuted, but I know you have had ups and downs over the last year and you still shine! You are being Christ to all of those around you! Congratulations on your 1 year! Love ya
Amen! Well said. Jeff & I (I got married in December!) are leaving for Iraq after the holidays and feel the same mixture of excitement and fear, but what a good reminder about the worthiness of Christ and his constant goodness. We'll be spending some time in Tky for sure - can't wait to see you guys! =)
Post a Comment