Thinking back over this school year I am amazed at all that Noah has accomplished! When we got here he could say two words in the language. (hi and horse) Now he is completely fluent with no accent and reads well! The hardest day I have ever had here was the first day I dropped him off at school. Everyone was watching us and I was fighting back the tears as I felt like I was leaving him for the wolves. His sweet and innocent smile as he happily waved goodbye will be an image I treasure forever. He was so brave.
As the teacher passed out the report cards (karne) everyone would gather around to peek at the child's scores. (People here tend to be nosey.) Noah got to proudly announce that he received "hepsi beş" (all the highest marks). All of the parents know how far he has come and were so proud of him. You can bet I am still beaming!
I tried to snap a lot of pictures so you can see what a typical, albeit poor, classroom looks like, and what the moms and kids look like. Enjoy...

All of the kids lined up listening to the endless assembly in the blazing sun. The girl at the forefront of the picture is named Elif. She lives in our building.

The kids finally got to go into the classroom. There are 42 kids in Noah's class. They sit 2 to a bench at these old-fashioned looking desks.

Mr. Personality. Noah's friend Baran is on the left, and his desk-mate, Irem is on the right.

Noah receiving his report card from his teacher.

Two of the moms comparing their children's report cards.

Moms and children crowded up around their teacher (the one with out a headscarf).

A fully covered, very conservative mother, looking at a child's report card.

Callie posing with Noah's friend Zeynap.

Noah and Baran with their teacher.

1 comment:
What an acomplishment a whole year of school and a super young ----man of course we know that he's a Leonard[and Dasher too] beautiful children and wonderful parents
Love to you all
Ramona
Post a Comment