Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 3, 2008

What Is Not

My dad had emailed me some questions in response to my earlier blog post requesting them. They were really good questions (not just the, is the sky blue where you live kind!), that require a bit of thought, so I am still thinking (sorry, Dad). But as I was walking the kids to school today I was struck with one of the answers.

My dad asked what is being done better here, and what is not. Well, here's what's not. As I have mentioned before, Noah's school is a middle school in the morning and elementary school in the afternoon. We were walking up to school, and just in front of it, where the middle schoolers were pouring out, was a boy. He was a trash collector- one of the people that goes through town before the trash is picked up and sorts through the dumpsters looking for things to sell or recycle. They pull big furniture moving dollys with a big tarp style bag on it to put their finds in. The thing that struck me today, was that as all the kids were coming and going from school, he was not. He was watching the kids so intently. It makes me tear up even now. He was young enough to be in Noah's class. Yet, education is not in the plan for him, it seems. And that is true for so many kids here. They work in their father's store, or at the covered market, or sweep the floor at the barber shop. They do not spend half of their day in the classroom. Please do not get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with hard and even un-pretty work. But not to have the opportunity to do more- to be more, it makes all the American in me want to stand up for justice! Man, what a privilege education is!

Lucy and I were headed home and I saw two more trash collectors- cigarettes hanging from their lips. They were maybe 12! They didn't have the innocent look of the boy in front of the school. They were jaded and sarcastic. I don't think anyone ever told them to "be all you can be." I wonder if anyone has told them about a god who is gracious and compassionate, full of mercy and slow to anger. I wonder if they know of the one who makes our burdens light. To be honest, I know that they do not know. That is why I am here. I have good news to share!!

No comments: